#76 [random] I'm just a small town girl..

Random thought:

I think Mel Gibson put it best when he said:

"FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

-

.. living in a loneeeely world.

Or, not, I'll stop this there. I don't actually have a vagina. I'm not lonely either. I just couldn't think of any other songs off the top of my head that had small towns mentioned within the lyrics. ... This wasn't as clever as I thought it'd sound.

Even though I was born in Edmonton I spent a large part of my childhood growing up in a town, a small town, which had maybe 600~800 population at the time called Thorsby. My old high school was also my old elementary and kindergarten. I think my graduating year there was only 31 people in the entire grade 10-12 class and around 120 in the entire school. Such small classes weren't unusual. There was one gas station on the way to Pigeon Lake (my grandma has a cottage at) just called the General which probably everyone in that town worked at once during their lives. Unless you wanted to spend the next five decades farming there wasn't much else to do in the means of work.

The best way I could describe Thorsby is saying how honest and trustworthy everyone living in the community was. Everyone knew each other and their families. We WERE that kind of small town mentioned in Bowling for Columbine where everyone leaves their doors unlocked at night and when they aren't home at school/at work.
Even though I overuse the same analogy a lot it's still the best way to describe Thorsby: You could leave your wallet on your dashboard with your car keys, house keys, your parents "hey you were born!" memorabilia (such as, first hair cut hair, first stuffed animal) and your own first born and really any other valuable items you could possibly think of yours or not and someone would actually break into the car just to drive it back to your house and return everything. Thorsby is such a small and unknown town my spellchecker keeps telling me I've spelled it wrong because the word Thorsby doesn't exist.

We drove through there driving to Pigeon Lake/Mulhurst Bay yesterday and I saw this out of the corner of my eye.. even if the town has expanded a lot from when I grew up there, still immediately reminded me of just how safe it was growing up.

This is probably how all those fake business & sign ones started.

You might have to save it and zoom in on the sign to the left since it's a little crunched here by blogspot.. but right beside the Bank of Montreal is "Bullseye Bill's Trading Post" a place where they openly sell both guns and ammunition. I'll wager my life in telling you that bank has never once been robbed. I miss Thorsby. Especially since I'm pretty sure I heard four guys being shot to death on my way home last night. Again.

Which makes it about the seventh time I've heard that this month.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Im glad i live in sweden..
most action here is once in a while a bank robbery.. no murders o.O
dave said…
.. at all? and it's not that bad here i guess. annually i think edmonton gets 30~40 murders per year. that's pretty "safe" i guess compared to bigger cities.