#105 [random] I made edible food in the kitchen and a female didn't help me!

Random thought:

I liked the soundtrack to Kick-Ass more than the actual movie.

-

It's true I tells ya, it's true *holds a cigar*. I don't actually smoke cigars, but I don't think there's any possible way anybody in the real world could say that sentence without holding a fat Cuban in their hands. Anyway. David Mainwaring isn't exactly known for my culinary expertise. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I set off smoke alarms. I burn the bottoms of pans to the irrecoverable point they need to be thrown out. I burn the actual food so it needs to be thrown out - it's an unfortunate experience for everybody who has ever had the displeasure in eating a homecooked signature meal by David Mainwaring. It's always been a little paradoxical. If you set me up with a barbecue and give me a few burgers (or hamburgers) - I'll make you a meal so good you could call it your last, literally, and be happily lethally injected. Throw me in the kitchen with a few pots and pans? You're probably better off eating third world rations from the Red Cross.

I've been trying out a few recipes from this handy Iphone/Ipod Touch app called "Epicurious". It's actually a really nifty application & website (boy, I never thought I'd ever sound like such a tool for Apple...) and worth the download for the simple fact it has a search feature that searches through tens of thousands of recipes. Want something with jalapenos? Simply search in
jalapenos, and tons of recipes that incorporate jalapenos one way or another will come up. I was only able to stump it once from producing recipe results by searching in "fecal matter". There's literally very few food combinations that don't bring up actual recipes. "Dog" thankfully brought up none.

But even "Chocolate" and "Duck" brought up one!

I love jalapenos, but unfortunately my body rejects them in all their spicy glory. First of all - hiccups are imminent. I never understood why, but the second I eat jalapenos I am plagued by hiccups. Secondly, because I was an idiot in making one of the first few recipes I tried off that application -- a bread bowl with two cheese jalapeno cheddar dip. During the prep (cutting a simple 5 fresh jalapenos) I rubbed my eye with the hand that had been cutting the peppers, and man, was that ever a mistake. My eye turned almost a solid pink and wouldn't stop watering or burning (bad combination) for nearly 45 minutes. On the upside, I probably developed some kind of immunity to pepper spray.

Awesome if I ever decide to become a criminal.

The actual food - came out of the oven EDIBLE. This is almost a first for me! AND not only was it edible, it actually tasted good. The bread bowl was created using a piece of sourdough bread, and I spiced and lightly toasted another piece of bread for dipping.

Here's a picture:



I captioned it elsewhere as...

Pro:
+ Tastes like carnival food.

Con:

- Tastes like carnival food.

Oh well, success often begins in mediocre steps, does it not? Lobster here I come!

And I have free time starting Monday, not that anyone still probably reads this blog, I plan to
grammatically overhaul the rest of the 100 entries. The first 80-90 (or so) weren't written with my vast recently-acquired-university-knowledge about English, so they're probably peppered with grammatical errors. Overhauling everything is something I've wanted to do for a while for completion sake, but just haven't had the time.

Au revoir mon amis!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree with you