#66 [random] What if I didn't exist tomorrow morning?

Random thought:

God bless you unintentionally inappropriate Mega Man bosses!


At least it beats my MSN poker average.

-


I was thinking about that earlier.. not to imply anything sinister and ulterior mind you. When I came home tonight I somehow ended up reading up on historic events which happened on/around my birthday (January 22th) and it doesn't seem to be the luckiest date in the world. For obvious starters - I was brought into the world then. Recently and more obviously Heath Ledger died on the 22nd after overdosing. Six days after my birth the space shuttle "Challenger" exploded seventy some seconds after launch, killing all 7 crew members on board. A Pennsylvanian politician named Budd Dwyer also committed suicide on live television after hosting a news conference in 1987.. possibly after learning I existed - I'm still a little uncertain about that. The Robert Pickton (Canada's worst and most notorious serial killer) trial opened in 2007. In 1973 a chartered plane exploded in Nigeria killing 170 onboard and, well.. you probably get the idea by now.

It made me of how fast life can be taken away from us.

How fa oh wait I forgot I promised I wouldn't do this singular line thing anymore.

It reminded me of how reclusive society really has become over the last decade. Shit.

I can remember as a kid when I was out and about random strangers would just walk up and start talking to my dad in the park as if they had known him for years -- or simply just ask me how my day was going. Have any of you actually been to any parks recently? I rollerbladed through Allendale almost everyday this last week (around 3 pm!). I can remember during the summers growing up Allendale was absolutely packed with volunteers organizing games, water balloon fights, sports and activities at the community hall. In the entire time passing through the park this week I saw two kids. TWO. In a week span. That's it. Infact I'm almost certain if you walked up to anyone born after the year 2000 and asked them if they know what a park is they wouldn't be able to answer you. And I can positively say in the last three.. maybe five years, there's been just a handful of people (older people! regular everyday people in general, not girls at bars etc) who have walked up to me somewhere and tried to initiate a conversation.

When was the last time you talked to someone on the bus? Or in the actual bus stop? Sometimes I see like ten people crammed in them and no one is talking at all!

Very few people reach out anymore.

This in turn reminded me of a project I was going to do for my first year in university. I even still have the intro still saved! and yikes, I've learned a lot in the ways of movie editing since then and needless to say the title will be heavily altered or just .. erased all together. It looks abysmal. At least it comes complete with swanky 1950's trumpeting.

AND TOP CENTER ZOOM!



We were supposed to show how I suppose, figuratively "antisocial" and secretive and withdrawn society has become partially due to the technological age we live and function in now. I thought the best way to illustrate how we've changed was coincidentally by walking up to a bunch of random people on the street and asking them questions while recording their unscripted responses. "Are you truly happy?", "What do you think the meaning of life is?", "Are you happy with how yours turned out?" etc.

I know no one would answer me truthfully, not in front of a rolling camera anyway, but that would show (I thought) in a vague way just how people have changed probably for the worse and for the most part, keep everything personal to themselves.

Even though I get no credits for it now.. I think I will finish this once I get back from Banff. I think anyway. I just need to figure out what to ask first. I think..

Comments