#26 [random] The vatican does what in their spare time?

Random thought:

Bye bye Detroit!

-

I've never understood scam emails before.

I keep being targeted by a Mr. Franciszek Jan Chrzciciel. It's funny, I looked that up and apparently it translates into Frank: Jon the Baptist. Our friend Franciszek Jan Chrzciciel keeps sending me emails telling me I've won 1,200,000 euros - because Poland uses the euro. I've come to the logical conclusion already:

DOCTOR FRANCISZEK

1: Hey, David, this is your conscious speaking. I'm just letting you know I didn't enter any contests recently. In fact I can think of very few times in my life I've filled out cards or sweepstakes in hopes to win something, so clearly, I can't be the winner of some Poland/English Sweepstakes. Although I do remember they had these cards at work for FREE KARATE lessons one time. You would simply fill out who you were, where you lived, and what you wanted to take karate for (they had like twenty reasons you could check off ranging from to boost self confidence, physical appearance, learn about cultural arts, improve self defense, make friends and so forth) contact numbers and the like. I still didn't want to sign up due to the fact karate doesn't appeal to me, but instead I signed my brother up. Under the reasons why I just checked all of them and said the best time to call him about it was between 3:19 AM - 4:33 AM in the morning.


Ah good times. My brother hates me now.

2. I DON'T KNOW ANYONE NAMED JON THE BAPTIST OR FRANCISZEK. Apparently JON THE BAPTIST has walked into my local bank despite saying in damn near the header of the email he's from Poland, all nonchalantly with 1,200,000 euros ($1,858,167 CAD) and asked them to deposit it into my account. A deposit, which $100 is required clear the "affidavit of onwership" (he spelled ownership incorrectly). Judging by the emails he's sent, our deeply religious JON THE BAPTIST is also a certified doctor of science (I wonder just how conflicted he'd be on giving abortion advice?). Oh my. It still baffles me how these people who do fall for con artists, well, fall for them. No one in Canada or America unless they tour will probably ever run into someone named FRANCISZEK. How do people even rationalize that?

"Ohh yeah, ol' Franciszek. I think we went to Pizza Hut one time."

It definitely sounds to me the kinds of friendship which take years upon years to forge where people trust each other enough to pass around 1.2 million Euros between them.

3.
They always seem to put "legit" looking email addresses on inappropriately not so legitimate email providers. You know, contestsweepstakes@gmail.com" and stuff like that. Fran's email is "atmdeskcard@myway.com". MyWay is a not as common email provider. I think Gmail and Hotmail take the thrones, but any and everyone can register for an email there. Hm.


Maybe I'm being over presumptuous, maybe I'm being too judgmental. Maybe he did wire me the 1.2 million Euros and it just hasn't cleared in the bank yet. If anything college humor has taught me not to jump to conclusions when it comes to spam:

Comments