#27 [random] Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend some dough on table 3.

Random thought:

(I wish at times I could think this coherently..)



-

I'm a pretty big fan of The Simpsons. I've pretty much had sex with the first 9 season DVDs, especially season 3-6 which can quite possibly be considered their golden years when every episode was the greatest episode. Back then they were all so rich in satire, and cynical against famous pop-culture. I remember watching them when I was like, six years old and my dad laughing at jokes I didn't understand at the time - usually JFK or George Bush & political related ones where something happened during their presidency which I obviously wouldn't have been aware of as it had predated my birth by about two or three decades. I watched an episode a few days ago, that one where George Bush moves into the house across the street from Homer. In all the wig gluing, fist fighting, name calling and tire spinnin' doughnut making anarchy, Mr. Bush remarks:

"I'll ruin you like a Japanese Banquet!"

I remember, even the first time I saw that episode I never understood that reference. My mind just can't tie together many famous Japanese banquets, let alone famous banquets in general that were ruined. My mind certainly doesn't associate George Bush at them either -- so I just chalked up that reference to the dwindling writing quality and let it be, thinking by that episode The Simpsons had already begun their downward spiral into instead of razor sharp satire, physical pain for 29.9 minutes is the new funny.

I stumbled upon the answer today, though. I don't know how I find these things, but it's an awesome example of how my mind is fascinated by the dumbest things. I watched Obama's entire speech (37! minutes) called "A more perfect union..."



It's interesting to watch and probably one of the better speeches given by a political figure in years, even though I'm Canadian, I love American politics. I really hope America elects him into office. Obama's so intelligent and clever and really carries himself with such a pure allure. You know you actually believe he's being truthful and real. I watched that speech, admittedly after feeling a sense of self accomplishment about his convictions and morals, and right after, turned around and watched this:



And felt the same damn feeling of accomplishment. I'll never understand it.

But back to that Bush thing - somewhere in between the Elmo Sex and Obama trying to change the world I stumbled upon:

"A reference to an incident that happened on January 6, 1992. During a state dinner, then-president Bush vomited on the lap of the Prime Minister of Japan, Kiichi Miyazawa."

I had no idea that ever occurred.

Maybe it's just the Sesame Street sex part of me, but I found it fantastic.



Comments

K said…
God that Dana Carvey clip as Bush is classic!
dave said…
haha yeah, dunno why they spliced SNL in there. Reminded me though back of when SNL still used to be good.