#102 [random] Hamburger Soup.

Random thought:

Know what's more annoying than a feminist?

A fat feminist.

-

Man, where does the time go Mr. Blog? I used to update you almost daily. After school began, I slipped into updating you bi-weekly, to tri-monthly, and now, about quadruple yearly.

I know the last term
technically doesn't exist, but I had to invent one on the fly to accurately describe my slackerism.

I'm beginning my 4th semester now; which tells me just over a year has passed before I decided on a whim one day to publicly share my musings with the internet--and literally the dates on the posts here reflect as such. I haven't really had time outside of school to really permit a social schedule like life did before when I had only worked eight hour days, but that's okay! I've come to the understanding just how important education is in my future and have accepted it as remaining the strong focal point it is currently. It's only temporary.

I've grown in spirit and in body (... literally, grr, I've gained like 4 pounds since my class schedules always suck and all I can do for lunch is eat french fries from the cafeteria in between classes). I've noticed I no longer really enjoy brainless Hollywood movie flicks like "I love you, man" or "The Hangover" that are produced by the reality & MTV generation. I'm gravitating more toward older movies, such as the "Shawshank Redemption" and documentaries with substance when I do feel like watching something. Film and media needs to have a point now, otherwise I'm really not interested. Dare I say, I think I've matured a little.

PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS slightly.

Well, not really. A few days ago I had a Pizza Pop for lunch and a Sprite. The Pizza Pop exploded in the microwave (in the plastic) like all good Pizza Pops do, leaving that Pizza Pop goop stuff in the lower quarter of the plastic. I ate it as I walked to class, and as I kept passing lockers realized the plastic left with the goop inside was just the right size to fit around the combination locks, goop and all. Wahahha, I loved it. I jammed it good right around somebody's lock. :D [note to self: There's definitely room for maturity improvement].

I'm reading more books. I've never really read before, so it comes to a surprise to me I'm actually flipping through pages and finishing them outside of a school environment where a gun isn't being held to my head. I don't really have the best track record yet. The last two I read were Elie Wiesel's "Night" (a book about the Holocaust)--which inspired me to read "Mein Kampf" (Hitler's book). It was really awkward, not only to read, but to buy as well. I asked a girl working in Chapters downtown if they sold copies--and she replied saying no. I went down the block to Aubrey's and asked if they sold it, the girl working there was like...

Girl: We sure do!
Dave: Great!
(... awkward silence)
Dave: I'm not a Nazi by the way.
Dave: We were reading Elie Wiesel's "Night" in class and it made me really want to read Hitler's book.
Dave: ... I'm really not a Nazi by the way.
(... really awkward silence)
Girl: It's okay.
Girl: It's more popular than you think.
Girl: My boyfriend even has a copy.
Dave: Is he a Nazi?
(... extremely awkward silence)

I'm becoming more and more aware of capitalism, and my urge to punch Adam Smith in the face increases on almost a daily basis. It saddens me when I overhear people talking in public, or even talking to friends that everyone is so obsessed materially. I feel so out of place sometimes, not wanting to have the newest car or newest clothes, newest fashions or trends, etc. I wonder how materialistic the world will be like when we fast forward another 50 years.

I went around asking some random people on the street "What was the last thing you talked to somebody (such as a friend or co-worker about)?" for part of a project in one of my classes and the results were staggering. Almost everybody mentioned something that could be attributed to vanity--such as new clothes, fashions, celebrities, cars. One man answered though "A recipe for hamburger soup". I thought that was really cool and out of place, but then I thought if I thought that was really cool and out of place, I must be really out of place, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
not one person you asked about their last purchase said beer? obviously you never asked me jerk